The UCLA Writing Project invites you to the 33rd annual With Different Eyes Conference, November 4, 2023. We focus on access and equity for all students, with our multilingual and multicultural students center-stage, including newcomers, students approaching advanced literacy, and speakers of African American English and indigenous languages. We attend to a spectrum of social justice issues—connected to matters of race and gender, environment, media. Given we are the Writing Project, we love to demonstrate how writing empowers all students, up and down the grade levels and across content areas.
With Different Eyes Conference
November 4 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
National Writing Project
Our theme this year is “Eyes Wide Open.” Eyes open to the complex realities of right now— our political landscape, our education system, the pressures on our environment—we pay attention so we can take action. Eyes open to our students, guiding them through their struggles and delighting in their curiosity and achievements.
How fortunate that Elyse Eidman-Aadahl, Executive Director of the National Writing Project, is our keynote speaker. This year the National Writing Project celebrates its 50th anniversary! Her keynote address: “50 Years and 5 Ideas to Carry Us Forward to ChatGPT and Beyond.”
November 4, 2023
8:30 AM – 3:30 PM
8:30 – 9:30 Welcome & Keynote Speaker
9:45 – 11:00 First Session Workshops
11:15 – 12:30 Second Session Workshops
12:30 – 1:30 Lunch Break
1:30 – 3:30 Third Session Workshops
SAMPLING OF WORKSHOPS
For Teachers and Administrators K-University
- ChatGPT: Practical Applications and Cautions for Classrooms
- Multilingual Learners Grow as Academic Writers
- Teaching Black Texts That Celebrate Heritage, Achievement And Joy
- Exploring Equity Issues Through Computational Thinking and Data
- Exploring LGBTQ Literature: Enhancing Our Knowledge And Teaching Repertoires
- Dialogue with Poetry: Stand up and Speak
- Community Cultural Wealth, Centering Student Assets
- Memory Snapshots: Stories from Our Lives
These descriptions will be updated as new workshops are added.
Conference Fee $165 per participant
Full-time Students: $40
Includes parking, continental breakfast and lunch
Ask your administrators to support your attendance! We accept purchase orders.