June 27 – 30, 2022
8:30am – 3:00pm at UCLA
Turn off Zoom and join us in person for four “packed” days of learning! Together we will immerse ourselves into the world of Writer’s Workshop: helping students generate topics important to them, constructing pointed and powerful “mini-lessons,” incorporating mentor text, and figuring out the best way to respond to your particular young writers. We’ll dabble in publishing and celebrations too!
Sometimes wearing your teaching hat, other times assuming the role of student, everyone will experience what it feels like to be a writer in a workshop classroom.
Collaboratively participants will:
- experience key rituals and routines of Writer’s Workshop
- create mini-lessons that teach craft, revision, conventions, and more
- draft pieces that may serve as teaching tools for mini-lessons
- dig into mentor texts to craft lessons
- practice conferring with students
- differentiate for English learners, gifted, and students with IEPs
- make relevant connections to the Common Core State Standards
Not only will you leave the workshop with a wealth of writing strategies and resources, you’ll boost your own identity as a writer as well!
Fee – $400
May be eligible for LAUSD PD hours