June 21 – 25, 2021
Monday – Friday 9:00 – 11:00am, 12:30 – 2:00 (PDT) online. Two additional hours per day off-line asynchronous.
Dust off your notebook, and join us for five “packed” days. Together, we’ll immerse ourselves in the nitty-gritty of Writer’s Workshop: helping students generate topics important to them, constructing pointed and powerful “mini-lessons,” incorporating mentor texts into your teaching of writing, figuring out the best way to respond to your particular young writers. We’ll dabble in publishing and celebration options, too!
Sometimes wearing your teacher hat, other times assuming the role of student, everyone will experience what it feels like to be a writer in a workshop classroom.
Through a hands-on and collaborative approach, participants will:
- experience key rituals and routines of Writer’s Workshop
- create mini-lessons that teach craft, revision, conventions—and more
- draft pieces that may serve as teaching tools for mini-lessons
- dig into touchstone texts as exemplars for craft lessons
- differentiate for English learners, gifted, and students with IEPs
- make relevant connections to the Common Core State Standards
Not only will you leave the workshop with a wealth of writing strategies and resources, you’ll boost your own identity as a writer as well!
Fee – $450
May be eligible for LAUSD PD hours