Writing Project Summer Invitational Institute
June 22, 2020
SUMMER INVITATIONAL INSTITUTE 2020
A four-week writing workshop for K-University teachers and administrators
Refine, elevate, and celebrate how you teach writing. Join other educators who put students center stage. The UCLA Writing Project invites you to apply for our Summer Invitational Institute where you’ll be immersed in the teaching of writing. You will experience and demonstrate successful teaching practices, learn from a wonderful group of educators, and develop your own craft. We’ll investigate “what happens when” students draw on their full linguistic repertoires — in school. We’ll focus on culturally sustaining pedagogy and other issues of social justice. You’ll become a UCLA Writing Project fellow, someone who can teach our other summer programs, present at conferences, and lead professional development workshops. English, social studies, science, mathematics, world language teachers, and all teachers of multi-lingual learners — this Project is for all of us!
JUNE 22 – JULY 16, 2020
Monday – Thursday 9:00 am – 3:30 pm
Orientation Meetings on Saturday, April 25 and Saturday, May 16, 2020
Institute Leaders: Faye Peitzman, UCLA Writing Project and Daniel Buccieri, Venice High School
Some Topics We’ll Explore
- Academic English – With an Attitude
- Teaching Writing and The Common Core
- English Learners — Achieving Dramatic Growth
- Rich Text and Authentic Writing
No Fee for this Workshop
- A fellowship covers full tuition for the four-week workshop, plus a $200 stipend.
- 9 quarter units of UCLA Extension credit available for a fee
- Eligible for 3 LAUSD Salary Points
How to Apply
Write your personal statement in one document:
- Introduce your students. Who are they and what do they bring to your classroom? Describe and reflect on a writing lesson or strategy that has worked well (2-3 pages).
- Describe yourself as a writer: i.e., your experiences, your joys, your hesitations (1 page).
Please include your full name in the filename of your personal statement.
Application deadline March 16, 2020
You must log into your Google account to reach the application form.
You will be asked to describe your lesson in a small group interview to be held March – April 2020.
We are able to offer 18 fellowships.