Writing Project Summer Invitational
SUMMER INVITATIONAL 2018
A four-week writing workshop for K-University teachers and administrators
Fine-tune your teaching of writing. Join other educators who put students center stage. The UCLA Writing Project invites you to apply for our Summer Invitational Institute where you’ll demonstrate successful teaching practices, gain an overview of K-university writing, and develop your own craft. We’ll weave technology into the routines of our time together. We’ll focus on culturally sustaining pedagogy and other issues of social justice. And as a UCLA Writing Project fellow, you’ll be among the teachers we ask to teach our other summer programs, present at conferences and lead professional development workshops. English, social studies, science, mathematics, world language teachers, and all teachers of English learners — this Project is for all of you!
JUNE 18 – JULY 13, 2018 9:00 am – 3:30 pm
Orientation Meetings on Saturday, April 28 and Saturday, June 2, 2018
Week 1 Monday – Thursday, June 18-21
Week 2 Monday – Thursday, June 25-28
Week 3 Monday – Tuesday only, July 2-3
Week 4 Monday – Friday, July 9-13
Some Topics We’ll Explore
- Academic English – With an Attitude
- Teaching Writing and The Common Core
- English Learners — Achieving Dramatic Growth
- Rich Text and Authentic Writing
- 9 quarter units of UCLA Extension credit available for a fee
- LAUSD Salary Points available
- Faye Peitzman, UCLA Writing Project Director
- Lizette Carlos, Program Coordinator
(310) 206-3544, .
How to Apply
Provide a cover page with your contact information: name, home address, phone, email address, name of school, current grade level and subjects taught. For the Subject line of your email, please write your first and last name, Invitational Application.
Write your personal statement:
- Introduce your students. Who are they and what do they bring to your classroom? Describe and reflect on a writing lesson or strategy that has worked well (2-3 pages).
- Describe yourself as a writer: i.e., your experiences, your joys, your hesitations (1 page).
Email application to:
Faye Peitzman, .
APPLICATION DUE MARCH 12, 2018
You will be asked to describe your lesson in a small group interview to be held March – April 2018.
We are able to offer 18 fellowships.