Professional Learning in Pandemic Times
Contract with our UCLA Writing Project for professional development workshops and coaching at your school site—in-person–or virtually. We’ll tailor the writing workshops to meet the needs of your teachers and their students. Given our current realities in the time of COVID, we’ll make sure to weave in extra opportunities for community building through writing and talk. We’ll acknowledge the tough times and also share light-hearted moments. We’ll focus on inclusivity, on anti-racist, multicultural views and content. Everything that we do together as teachers can serve as a model for working with PK-12 students.
The core beliefs that guide our workshops:
- All students can become good, more-than-competent writers, able to shape and express their thoughts so others have full access.
- Students thrive when they are encouraged to make use of their rich linguistic repertoires.
- Classroom teachers have tremendous expertise. Because of the understandings they gain by working with students every day, they are essential co-planners of their professional development.
- The teaching of writing is a joyous enterprise!
Current and Recent Professional Development Focus Areas
- Changing Up Your Literary Canon—elementary and secondary
- Improving Student Writing Across the Disciplines
- Study Group on Race
- Low-stakes, Mid-stakes Everyday Writing
- Responding to Student Writers
- Argumentative Writing Based on Sources