How to Apply to the Principal Leadership Institute
The application filing period for the 2018-2019 admission year will open September 28, 2017 and will close on February 5, 2018.
The UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies requires that all PLI applicants meet the following criteria.
- Five years of full-time teaching or personnel service experience preferred.
- Successful undergraduate performance (at least 3.0 g.p.a. in the Jr/Sr years and/or a successful graduate academic history, if applicable)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- Well-written, reflective essays
- Strong recommendations (including one from a current supervisor)
- Ability to communicate well in group settings
Preliminary Administrative Services Credential Criteria
To be admitted to PLI, applicants must also meet the Commission on Teacher Credentialing’s conditions which apply to the Tier I Credential (the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential).
Applicants for the Tier I Credential must:
- Possess a valid California teaching or services credential including a Multiple or Single Subject Teaching Credential, a Designated Subjects Teaching Credential (provided the applicant possesses a bachelor’s degree), a Pupil Personnel Services Credential, a Health Services Credential, or a Clinical Rehabilitative Services Credential
- Have a minimum five years of successful, full-time experience in the public schools or private schools of equivalent status when they begin PLI
- Pass the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- Complete a program of specialized and professional preparation in administrative services from an approved university, PLI in this case
How to Apply
Please read the PLI Application Checklist for all of the details on applying, but here are the steps.
- Online Application
Complete the UCLA Graduate Admissions Application at https://grad.ucla.edu/.
The fee for U.S citizens and Permanent Residents is $105.
- Upload Supporting Documents
The PLI Application Checklist outlines the process of submitting each supporting document.
- Copy of transcripts (we also need an official transcript to be mailed to UCLA; see Step 4)
- Statement of Purpose: Why do you want to become a social justice school leader in an urban community?
- Essay Response: Please see the PLI Application Checklist for the essay topics.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report from the Educational
Testing Service. (This may be directly reported to UCLA. You may choose to upload this in the
Supporting Documents upload section.)
Preferably, all prospective students to the PLI program should take the GRE exam by January 1st.
- Three letters of recommendation – submitted online
One recommendation must be from your current supervisor.
- Mail official transcripts
In addition to uploading copies of your official transcripts, they must also be mailed to us.
Send transcripts to:
UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies
Office of Student Services
1009 Moore Hall, UCLA Box 951521
Los Angeles, California 90095-1521
Here is the PLI Application Checklist that outlines the steps of the application process.
The Office of Student Services looks forward to assisting you throughout the PLI application process. Please contact Kim Matheussens () if you have any questions.