The time I spent in PLI has profoundly changed the way I approach educational leadership. Before joining PLI, I had a heart for Social Justice, but I lacked the language, theoretical framework, and tools to be an effective catalyst for change. Now, I feel confident in my ability to identify inequitable practices in schools and have gained the courage to take action that will powerfully lead to positive student outcomes for all.”
The UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies requires that all PLI applicants meet the following criteria.
- Five years of full-time teaching or personnel service experience preferred.
- Successful undergraduate performance (at least 3.0 g.p.a. in the Jr/Sr years and/or a successful graduate academic history, if applicable)
- Not required – Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- Well-written, reflective essays
- Strong recommendations (including one from a current supervisor)
- Ability to communicate well in group settings
Preliminary Administrative Services Credential Criteria
To be admitted to PLI, applicants must also meet the Commission on Teacher Credentialing’s conditions which apply to the Tier I Credential (the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential).
Applicants for the Tier I Credential must:
- Possess a valid California teaching or services credential including a Multiple or Single Subject Teaching Credential, a Designated Subjects Teaching Credential (provided the applicant possesses a bachelor’s degree), a Pupil Personnel Services Credential, a Health Services Credential, or a Clinical Rehabilitative Services Credential
- Have a minimum five years of successful, full-time experience in the public schools or private schools of equivalent status when they begin PLI
- Pass the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- Complete a program of specialized and professional preparation in administrative services from an approved university, PLI in this case
How to Apply
Please read the PLI Application Checklist for all of the details before you start the application process.
- Online Application
Complete the UCLA Graduate Admissions Application.
The fee for U.S citizens and Permanent Residents is $120.
- Upload Supporting Documents
The PLI Application Checklist outlines the process of submitting each supporting document.
- Copy of transcripts (we also need an official transcript to be mailed to UCLA; see Step 4)
- Statement of Purpose: Why do you want to become a social justice school leader in an urban community?
- Essay Response: Please see the PLI Application Checklist for the essay topics.
- UCLA Graduate Council Statement of Purpose
- UCLA Graduate Council Personal Statement
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Three letters of recommendation – submitted online
One recommendation must be from your current supervisor.
- Mail official transcripts
In addition to uploading copies of your official transcripts, they must also be mailed to us.
Send transcripts to:
UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies
Office of Student Services
1009 Moore Hall, UCLA Box 951521
Los Angeles, California 90095-1521
Here is the PLI Application Checklist that outlines the steps of the application process.
The Office of Student Services looks forward to assisting you throughout the PLI application process. Please contact Kim Matheussens () if you have any questions.
Principal Leadership Institute (PLI) Alumni
Participating in UCLA Principal’s Leadership Institute provided me the opportunity to understand that most of the challenges we face in education are structural rather than instructional. The UCLA Professors pulled back a veil obscuring inequity hidden within the blueprints of the school system and with each class provided a new set of tools to rework the structure in collaboration with parents, students, and teachers. After graduation, their coaching network continues to support me personally and professionally as I advocate to change the rules for our students and community. Thank you PLI!”