Writing Project Overview
Welcome to the UCLA Writing Project, a site of the California Writing Project and National Writing Project since 1977. We work with teachers of all disciplines and levels, helping them not only to expand their repertoires as teachers but also as writers. We believe that all -- teachers and students --can become good writers and experience the satisfaction of capturing thoughts in just the right words.
As you navigate our website, you'll see programs that range from a focus on enhancing the abilities of English learners, to assessing student writing, differentiating instruction and leveraging the particular talents Los Angeles area students bring to the classroom.
The UCLA Writing Project and UCLA Center X invite you to the 24th annual With Different Eyes Conference.
As always, we focus on access and equity for all students, with English learners center stage. And we define English learners broadly: newcomers to the United States, long-term English learners, speakers of African American English and speakers of indigenous languages.
Rooted in a social justice stance and aligned with the Common Core
State Standards (CCSS), our conference poses questions and sheds light
on the joys and challenges of teaching and learning in urban classrooms
Sampling of Workshops for Teachers and Administrators K-University
- Critical Media Literacy: Engaging English Learners through Analyzing and Creating Media
- How Speaking and Writing Advance Mathematical Thinking
- Reading and Writing Workshop in the Elementary Classroom
- High-Stakes, Low-Stakes Everyday Writing--Across the Disciplines
- The Promise of Dual-Language Programs
- Engaging with Complex Texts: Multicultural Non-Fiction
- Drawing on Art to Begin Discussions about History
- Making Writing Public: Amplifying Student Voices through Digital Writing, Collaborating & Publishing Tools
Fee: $90 / Early Bird Fee: $75 – due by October 17, 2014
Conference fee includes parking, continental breakfast and lunch.
Note: Schools can use SIG and Core Waiver funds for teacher registration.