This section includes previously published versions of academic articles as well as published research articles focused on the teaching of Ethnic Studies in K-12 schools.
Cabrera, N., Milem, J.F., Jaquette, O., & Marx, R.W. (2014). Missing the (student achievement) forest for all the (political) trees: Empiricism and the Mexican American studies controversy in Tucson.” American Educational Research Journal, 51(6), 1084-1118. Read the article
Dee, T. & Penner, E. (2016). The causal effects of cultural relevance: Evidence from and ethnic studies curriculum. National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No. 21865. doi: 10.3386/w21865 Read the article
de los Rıos, C. (2013). A curriculum of the borderlands: High school Chicana/o-Latina/o studies as sitios y lenguas. The Urban Review, 45(1), 58–73.
de los Rios, C., Lopez, J., Morrell, E., (2015). Critical ethnic studies in high school classrooms: Academic achievement via social action. In Noguera, P.A., Pierce, J.C, Ahram, J. (Eds.) Race, Equity, and Education: Sixty Years from Brown (pp. 177-198). New York: Springer.
Diera, C. (2016). It isn’t the child who is culturally disadvantaged, it is the teacher: In-Service for Teachers of Mexican-American Students During the 1970s. Read the article
Gallagher-Geurtsen, T. (2016). San Diego’s struggle for ethnic studies: The value for all of democratizing education. Read the article
Jocson, K. M. (2008). Kuwento as multicultural pedagogy in high school ethnic studies. Pedagogies: An International Journal, 3(4), 241–253. doi: 10.1080/15544800802355952
Sleeter, C. E. (2011). The academic and social value of Ethnic Studies: A research review. Washington, DC: National Education Association. Read the article
Tintiangco-Cubales, A., Kohli, R., Sacramento, J., Henning, N., Agarwal-Rangnath, R., & Sleeter, C. (2014). Toward an ethnic studies pedagogy: Implications for K-12 schools from the research. The Urban Review. doi: 10.1007/s11256-014-0280-y.
Ethnic Studies K-12 – XChange Issue
- Cover Page
- History of Ethnic Studies Timeline
- Political & Historical Context for Ethnic Studies: Voices from the Field
- Praxis – Ethnic Studies K-12 – XChange
- Reflections on Becoming an Ethnic Studies Educator
- Project-Based Learning for Centering Student Voice in STEM
- 10 Years of the IMPACT Teacher Residency Program
- Coaching Across a Continuum: A Journey of Learning
- Ethnic Studies K-12
- The Power of Urban Teacher Residencies: The Impact of IMPACT
- Teacher Collaborative Inquiry
- Culturally Relevant Teaching
- Growing and Supporting Teacher Leadership
- Multiple Measures of Good Teaching
- Repertoires of Linguistic Practice
- Critical Uses of Media & Technology
- 15 Years of Lessons Learned