Who We Are
The mission of the California Reading & Literature Project (CRLP) is to provide high quality, standards-based professional development in reading and language instruction to help ensure that every California student PreK-12 achieves the highest standards of academic performance.
The CRLP’s goals are to develop teachers’ content knowledge and expand their teaching strategies guided by state policies and frameworks, and supporting the use of instructional materials. We focus on academic English Language development to prepare students to meet or exceed academic standards in all content areas. We aim to create a statewide pool of expert teacher leaders collaborating with district personnel and university faculty to translate educational policies and priorities into sound and effective classroom practices to improve student achievement.
- All students can achieve and are entitled to equal access to an education
- The best teacher of teachers is another teacher
- All students deserve highly qualified reading and literature teachers
- Effective instruction is guided by inquiry, reflection and practice
- All teachers and all students are encouraged to become lifelong readers
- Effective professional development engages educators in teaching, assessment, observation, collaboration and reflection
- Developing teacher leadership is essential to professional development of all teachers
Adapted from: US Office of Educational Research and Improvement (OERI) “Studies of Educational Reform” (1996-1997)