Support for English Language Learners
Project ExcEL partners with public schools to employ a data-driven, tiered approach to instruction building on community partnerships to create personalized, expanded learning opportunities for students who do not speak English as their first language. In 2016, the Shelton, CT schools joined existing Exc-EL districts in Tarrytown and Ossining (New York), expanding the number of school sites from 4 to 12, building on nationally recognized work currently in process. Early results from ongoing research with ExcEL schools indicates a positive effect on the results in reading and mathematics assessments for English learners.
Center X Northeast works in partnership with project staff to measure changes brought about, or enhanced, by new programs and initiatives – but we also work with you to document and analyze the conditions that lead to successful outcomes. This allows us to provide feedback on the development of programs (are we doing what we said we would?) as well as ongoing and valuable information on the impact of changing structures and practices on student achievement and success (are we doing the right thing?).
Regular, ongoing feedback and communication with our clients is a hallmark of Center X NER evaluative partnerships; formative findings are shared frequently and used to proactively identify areas for improvement.
- Theory of change, logic model and evaluation plan development
- Survey development, administration and analysis
- Focus group and interview conduct and analysis of results
- Quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis
Sample projects include:
- The New England Network for Personalization and Performance – an Investing in Innovation i3 development grant evaluation
- Evaluation for Improvement, partnering with the Springdale, Arkansas RTT-D program
- Structuring and implementing rigorous evaluations for federal and state funded programs including Arts in Education, School Improvement Grants, and Smaller Learning Communities.
Support for District Leadership
Center X NER partners with district and central office leadership to support the development and improvement of instructional leadership in a holistic fashion. Center X NER works by understanding, and building on, what is in place and working well, building a system that results in increased visibility and accountability for all district leaders.
Sample projects include:
- Training and support for new classroom teachers
- Monitoring the development and implementation of strategic plans
- Support for the development of quality administrative walk throughs