- This event has passed.
Literacy Matters: Critical Literacy Across the Disciplines
June 19 9:00 am - June 22 3:00 pm$400
A Workshop for High School and Middle School Teachers of All Subjects
June 19 – 22, 2017
9:00AM – 3:00PM
Instructor: Daniel Buccieri
How do we guide our students to be more critical readers and writers? How can we empower them to have engaging experiences with a variety of sources? Join us as we discover new approaches and develop curricula that are just the right fit for the students you meet every day.
Using a classroom-tested, collaborative, democratic discussion approach, participants will:
- build a collective understanding of critical literacy and why
- engage in protocols that lead students to read, write, and discuss texts more actively
- experience classroom-ready presentations from teachers of various disciplines
- acquire tools to make curricula more culturally relevant
- develop classroom practices that extend far beyond the Common Core State Standards
- leave the workshop with resources, ideas, and materials to use with your students