Are you interested in receiving introductory training in the Doreen Nelson Method of Design-Based Learning this summer, followed by a year-long Fellowship that provides additional professional learning through online monthly cohort sessions including curriculum development, implementation support, and opportunities to collaborate with other Design-Based Learning teachers regularly during the 2021-2022 school year?
Introduction to Design-Based Learning Institute 2021
July 26 9:00 am - July 30 12:30 pm
9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. synchronous
1 p.m. -3:30 p.m. asynchronous
During this five-day online institute, participants will:
- Explore the tools, strategies, and essential elements of the Doreen Nelson Method of Design-Based Learning
- Gain experience in how to present hands-on, engaging activities that meet the needs of diverse learners
- Learn instructional strategies that develop a sense of community and build relationships in TK-12 online, in-person, and hybrid classroom settings while promoting the 6 C’s of creativity, critical thinking, communication, collaboration, citizenship, and character
- Collaborate with other teachers and UCLA Instructors to analyze grade level standards to develop an integrated curriculum with standards-aligned Guided Lessons and embedded assessment
Single Participant – $400.00
Teacher Pair – (Two teachers from the same school) $350.00/each
Teacher pairs and/or groups from the same school are highly encouraged.
*UCLA Extension credits available for an additional fee. A certificate of completed training hours in Design-Based Learning for NBCC or salary units will be automatically issued upon completion of training.
Design-Based Learning Fellowship
Enrollment in the Introduction to Design-Based Learning Institute is required. All enrolled TK-12 teachers and/or specialists are eligible to apply for a 2021-2022 Design-Based Learning Fellowship as an extension of the introductory training.
During the 2021-2022 school year, Fellowship participants will:
- Meet in a monthly cohort group to continue analyzing grade level standards to develop an integrated curriculum with standards-aligned Guided Lessons and embedded assessment for 3-5 Design Challenges
- Receive classroom implementation support and guidance from UCLA Instructor(s)
- Connect with other Design-Based Learning teachers and UCLA Instructors to share experiences, reflect on best practices, and receive feedback
Monthly meeting dates/times TBD. Sessions will be online and in the afternoons/evenings.
*A completion certificate for training hours in Design-Based Learning for NBCC or salary units will be issued upon completion.
Fellowship Application for the 2021-2022 school year
*Please read through and complete the entire application for all of the details and requirements to be considered for the 2021-2022 DBL Fellowship. Teachers must be enrolled in the 5-day Introduction to Design-Based Learning Institute to be accepted into the Fellowship.
Teachers pairs or groups from the same school are highly encouraged. Applicants will be notified as they are accepted.
Questions? Need more information? Email Jessica Heim at .