Improving Students’ Analytical Writing
June 19 9:00 am - June 22 3:00 pm$400
A Workshop for High School and Middle School Teachers
June 19 – 22, 2017 9:00AM – 3:00PM
Marlene Carter, Associate Director, UCLA Writing Project
Heidi Bowton, National Board Consultant
Kate Rowley, Common Core Transition Team, Alain LeRoy Locke College Preparatory Academy
Join us in a collaborative workshop that focuses on the strategies and lessons teachers can use to help students become college and career ready readers and writers. We will share lessons and strategies for teaching students the kind of issue-based writing required for the UC Analytical Writing Placement Exam and other assessments such as the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC).
THROUGH A HANDS-ON , COLLABORATIVE, DISCUSSION-BASED APPROACH, TEACHERS WILL:
- Learn specific strategies to strengthen students’ college and career-ready
writing skills, especially for non-fiction and issue-based writing.
- Gain new ideas for technology integration around writing.
- Learn how to better support EL and LTEL, and Standard English Learners.
- Make relevant connections to the Common Core State Standards.
- Leave the workshop with concrete ways to improve student writing
in all disciplines.
UCLA Extension credit available for an additional fee.