Teaching Common Core Mathematics to English Learners
These three-day institutes are designed for teachers of grades K-5 and 6-12 mathematics teachers, coaches, and mathematics leaders. Grades K-5: June 16-18, Grades 6-12: June 19-20 & June 23
Jun 16, 2014 08:30 AM
Jun 23, 2014 03:30 PM
|Where||California State University Los Angeles|
|Contact Name||Jeff Diaz|
|Contact Phone||(310) 825-5599|
|Add event to calendar||
The Region XI California Mathematics Network is pleased to offer three-day mathematics workshops: Teaching Common Core Mathematics to English Learners developed through a partnership between ELD and Math specialists. Two workshops are offered: one for K-5 and the other for 6-12 mathematics teachers, coaches, leaders and ELD Specialists. These professional learning sessions provide participants with effective research-based strategies that ensure access to standards-based mathematic for all students, including, English Learners and students with disabilities. Explicit connections are made to the Common Core State Standards for Mathematical Practice and the Framework for English Language Proficiency Standards, while promoting the 21st Century skills of communication, critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration.
- Understand the Standards for Mathematical Practice for teaching English Learners.
- Build connections between prior knowledge and mathematics standards.
- Use multiple representations to foster comprehension.
- Discuss academic discourse as a tool for learning mathematical content.
- Make use of language development performance indicators corresponding to the SMP to differentiate mathematics instruction.
- Reflect on language barriers affecting the learning of mathematics for Standard English learners.
Each institute is limited to 25 participants so please apply early!
Teachers of Grades K-5: June 16-18
Teachers of Grades 6-12: June 19-20 & June 23
Location: California State University, Los Angeles
>> Click here for the Teaching Common Core Mathematics to English Learners flyer.
- Teaching mathematics grades K-5 or 6-12
Area of Focus
- Analyze student mathematics learning data
- Explore differentiated strategies
- Problem solving strategies
- Lesson planning tools
- Attend three-day institute
- Receive a CD with research-based strategies
- PowerPoint presentations
- Collaborate with other mathematics leaders and presenters.
Registration Deadline: June 6, 2014
Questions? Please contact Jeff Diaz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-825-5599.